Thread: To Dileep
View Single Post
Old May 19, 2003, 05:24 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Indian Domestic cricket

Indian cricket currently has a lot of problems.

1. Lack of money - Lack of money is one of the biggest problems facing Indian Cricket. Although, there should have been no lack of money otherwise, but most of the money is spent only on the national team. The first-class cricketers in India are rarely paid decently. Even Parthiv Patel and Sanjay Bangar, Indian cricketers who were in the world cup squad but did not play a match, made more than 2 Lakh Indian Rupees. (47 Indian Rupee ~ US$1). However a Ranji Trophy player made only a little over 1000 Rs.

2. Lack of sponsorship - There is obviously a lack of sponsorship for Ranji Teams. For the national team, even small town companies like "Gayatri Arts" lined up for sponsorship besides big companies like "air Sahara", etc. For domestic teams, only Bengal team has a sponsor. Over 90% of the teams run without a sponsor.

3. Top cricketers not playing in the domestic cricket - This is also one of the major problems in Indian cricket. Rarely have top cricketers like Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, Srinath etc. played for their Ranji teams. Atleast this year, we did see Sehwag playing for Delhi and Agarkar turning for Mumbai. Top cricketers need to play in the Ranji. If they don't play, this creates a bad impression over younger players. The players instead are now going to play in English county cricket.

4. Poor Dileep Trophy system this year - This year, Dileep trophy system was a total joke. 3 teams from the best players from the elite group of Ranji trophy were created and 2 from the Plaet grop. As there is obviously a difference between elite and plate groups, lots of matches were terribly one sided ones. I think the old format of one team from each zone was a far better one.

5. Lots of International cricket - This is also an important factor for that. with lots of international cricket around, a decent time for the Ranji every year cannot be found. I think that it should be made compulsory for top players to play in the Ranji final and semi-final for their state/province teams.

6. Lack of Fans - Most of the time, the stadiums during the Ranji trophy run empty. I don't know why is this happening in a country which has 1-billion so-called fans ? It is not good for Ranji Players to play for empty or sparsely filled stands.

Ur Replys -

Fwullah - Can you tell me is your Bangladesh "A" team coming for Ranji trophy next year ?

Nasifkhan - There are a lot of good academics all over India. Can you tell me the name of the Bangalore academy ?