View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 10:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
My vote is for you to be one. You seem to have a lot of in depth knowledge (don't know how) on local players and their style of play. Your writing skill is good if not better than the journos out there. But I am sure you wouldn't take the job since the money is not there and there lies the reason for the lack of interest and quality of sports journalist coming out of our country. I don't think passion fills one's stomach.
Thanks for the nice words but I can't do it. I've been under contract to do other things for a while now and am certainly not a reporter. I can't even go to domestic matches as much as I used to be able to, let alone doing that full time. Money has nothing to with any of it, because I don't really have to work anymore to live a relatively comfortable life, but time does and what I choose to do with that time. I've worked hard enough since age 15 until I started doing my own labor-of-love thing 5 years ago at age 40. Bangladesh cricket is a major passion I have, but I'm simply not young enough to do the necessary legwork.

Besides, as BC goes, nobody and I mean NOBODY comes even close to Razab's quality and class.

Anyway, Md. Isam is the ideal candidate to take Bangladeshi cricket writing to the next level if he wants to. He is a passionate, knowledgeable and skilled young professional sports writer with great connections. He's also a competitive cricketer and that always enhances one's potential because of the added insight. He has a clear understanding of what he's witnessing in the middle and has the language skills to describe that in interesting ways. In fact, the only great cricket report with interesting and accurate description of key game action I've read in a local newspaper was written by him. Sadly, that report on a match against Zimbabwe as far as I can recall now, is an exception when its kind needs to be the norm.

I just hope my constructive suggestions help him not only what he can be, but what we need him to be. We badly need context and only real reporting can help us out.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM..