View Single Post
Old September 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivfan
The difference is that some of our bowlers in the HPC can already make the transition to the A team, and possibly even the senior team, right now, such as Permaul, Cotterrell and Carlos. But none of the batsmen are ready for that transition - not even Fletcher. Hope has come on a bit, but if he finds his way into the A team on the basis of 60 runs at an average of just 30 in this match, then it shows an even greater paucity in the A team batting cupboard than I thought....

Our players should be using matches like these to stake a claim to the A team, to move up another level, especially those batsmen who are in the 23-24 range, and who should be reaching maturity soon. Yes, they haven't had much FC cricket, but how long are we going to wait on them to get FC experience? Our domestic season is already only half as long as it should be. We can't wait on these guys to reach 28 to get the FC experience they need. Fletcher, Hope and Barclay should be delivering at this level, the way Permaul and Cotterrell delivered. Instead, the averages of these three batsmen in this match in the 23-24 category are as follows:

Fletcher - 35
Hope - 30
Barclay - 27.5

Not the kind of performances to merit a promotion....

In contrast, both Permaul and Cotterrell showed that they deserve to be in the A team too.
What "level" though? you mean the level thats sees these batters facing TEST SPINNERS in their own backyard? well i'd say both Fletcher and Hope did ok then, we can't just expect them to turn up in every single game, but even so i'd say 200 and a 50 in two matches is more than good enough from Hope, the boy is indeed a talent and with a good first class season i'd think he'd be put into the A-team, i'd also say Hamilton done himself justice aswell in that second innings, it's a work in progress at the end of the day, they've just been with the academy for a few months so lets wait and see how they are by the end of their term shall we?

Anyway i think we can take a lot away from those two four day matches, Cotterrell certainly put his hand up and i believe he will be in the A-team sooner rather than later, it will be big contest between him and Delorn Johnson to see who makes it into the WI senior side first, Permaul of course was impressive too, so i'm ok with how things are going even though i was disappointed with the defeat,

Also just a word about Charles, bang fans the kid who just hit 80 against england would have been playing for this hpc team if he wasn't in Sri-lanka!!.. i think you might have gotten off a little lucky there!! .