View Single Post
Old August 15, 2006, 09:08 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
"Classy" is a premature word. At best Athar Ali Khan and Aminul Islam Bubul were classy. Class was also demonstrated by Tikolo. They played with more consistency, patience and played masterful strokes off good balls - making it look all effortless. It is hard to say that Aftab and Ashraful have been patient and genuinely paced their innings very flexibly in quite a while. If they can do that, then we can be rest assured they are classy. Just like Aravinda De Silva, Saeed Anwar, Rahul Dravid, Lara, etc
I am sorry, cant agree with the two example you had given me for BD players. Athar was Probably stylish. but, never classy. And Bulbul.. sorry.. he was never any quality batman, let alone classy. U or many might disagree with Bulbul , but, I never considered anyone of that generation were classy. In simple words, they were totally horirble with their technique, tempertment and worst, always used to play pre-meditated shots rather playing on merits. Bulbul played shots when the ball wasnt something to hit, and got defence when it shoudl be punished. So, I am sorry if I cant agree with your definition of classy act. Aftab..yes, he is sussecptable against Spin, but, he is really excellent against pace. You can say that immediately, the way he faces the ball, staraight bat , chest in line with the ball. Bulbul always played as if he is playing just to face the ball.. not to play it. Ashraful, if you think, he is not a class act, then, you might look into the world review abt him. Its really kinda difficult to write what a class act really is. U can only feel it when u see someone playing like tha. Once example,

Tendulkar, Dravid are classy players, but, Sewag isnt. He is more flambyont one. So, class comes with the technique and mentality to me.