Thread: Shariful Islam
View Single Post
Old January 30, 2015, 07:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
I think i have met Shariful Islam at someones house but i forgot his name until i had a friend talk abt a Bangali playing in the Sydney Grade cricket comp. When i talked to Shariful i remember he mentioned that he was in the same grade team (i think the team is called Western Suburbs) as Phillip Hughes, Mitchell Starc and Michael Clarke.

And then i did some intense research and found out the following.

He was born in Bangladesh and grew up in Australia. He played Australian schoolboys cricket at around the age of 16 i think. So i think he is an Aussie by nature. If this is the case then he could have chance at playing for Bangladesh if he is brought around the cricketing culture of Australia. Im not too sure if the following facts are true but he was in the Bangladesh U17s team (in 2000) and batted at #5. He was in the same team as Mohammad Ashraful, Nafees Iqbal, Talha Jubair, Nasiruddin Faruque and Manjurul Islam.

Afterwards i think he played a couple of DPL matches for Mohammaden Sports Club and on some scoresheets he goes by the name "Rony". I think he still plays grade cricket in Sydney but im not too sure. He is a right handed batsmen and pace bowler. He is currently 26 yrs old.

I distinguishly remember how he looked like and i remember him as a guy with a solid build.

Does anyone else have any info on this guy and what he is doing now? And also can anyone clarify if the info above is correct? Sohel bhai have you seen him play? Is he a good prospect to look at?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/Australi...yer/56113.html
If this is the same Shariful Islam I'm thinking of, then I highly doubt he has any chance of playing international cricket. He's definitely a very good player at club level, and has made a name for himself as a batsman in the Sydney club scene. I'll admit I have only seen 2 innings of him in a fairly big tournament here in Sydney, but getting bowled by a 115km pace bowler for a golden duck on an astroturf track doesn't exactly suggest international standard.

Hopefully you're not talking about the same guy.

Edit: Yeah it's the same guy. Very much doubt he's even Australian state level quality let alone international standard. Nonetheless, very good at club level.