Thread: Golf
View Single Post
Old June 24, 2008, 12:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
Tiger Woods' comment about hockey assured that the canadian ritual of sterotyping americans as clueless and ignorant of hockey lives on. In a recent interview however, TW shed light on his earlier statement about hockey by explaining to the fans that he doesn't like watching hockey on tv and would much rather watch it live in an arena. Beams, TW may not like hockey but there's no doubt that he's tough as a nail. His physique is typical of a football player than a golfer. There's a general consensus among sports journalists that he could have easily excelled at sports like basketball and baseball if he decided to pursue either as a career. As much as the NHL would like to see NHL become more popular in the US, it is all but established that hockey will never attract a large audience because unfortunately, most americans share TW's original views about hockey. To my utter displeasure, I have to credit for winning the major because his achievement was phenomenal. He managed to win the US open, arguably golf's hardest major, playing 90 holes, on one functionning knee. My own reply to his hockey views can be summarized by a hockey show anchor's joke, "Golf is boring, except when he's playing". He'll grow to love the sport once he sees Stamkos in action. He can easily do that as he lives in Palm Beach Florida.
IC

You can't paint all Americans with such broad brush. There are many areas, cities, states etc where hockey has a very stronghold. I live in one such city and it includes Buffalo, Detroit, Minnesota, Mass etc. But, generally, specially in the sun belt areas, it is yet to gain any momentum. Its not their fault. They never grew up around hockey. How could it be? You need the element of nature to cooperate.

TW is a phenomenal golpher. Probably the best that has ever played. He certainly will be when he is all done with his career. However, TW the person, who rarely engages himself unless dollar bills are involved, should not be worshiped the way the media does it. He has consistently shied away from every social engagement that many think he should because of who he is. TW and his PR machine are only interested when money is involved. I respect his game. But, if there was ever a numero uno media slut, he is that, by a mile.

He only retracted his comment after the media backlush. Believe me, he meant what he said. If you don't like it, don't say anything at all, or just make a positive comment. He just showed his contempt for the sport and millions of fans who enjoy it. He is tough, if you compare him to the other golphers, and physically, he is way superior without a doubt, considering among the pot bellies and senior citizens that masqeurade as athletes.

Watching Stamkos? Good luck with that. What do you think of Barry Melrose as their new coach?