View Single Post
Old September 30, 2005, 05:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
no, not on naked_eye-sighting (unless that's what the authorities do ) . it was based on the declaration of committees in various parts of the country.
That is what they do, sight the moon with naked-eye.

Quote:
my beliefs were somewhat confirmed when i myself discovered a couple of times that the moon looked too big for a new one on the official Eid eve.
Hadith of Nabi(saw) says to the nearest meaning, Start fasting when you see the moon..... It does not say see the new moon. So in an area if the people even after making maximum effort to sight the new moon with naked-eye fails to see it, then could wait a day to try see it again. Maximum delay being 1 day, since Islamic months cannot be smaller than 29 days or longer than 30 days. So in BD, if they did fail to see new moon on the 1st day of its appearance, but did manage to see it next day, than 1st day of Fasting will start from following day and the night being 1st night on Ramadan, hence taraweeh.

People confuse moonsighting with new moon. It is incorrect. It does not have to be New moon. What can we do if we fail to see the new moon for whatever reason. So Allah made it ehsan for us, by not requiring the 1st day of New moon.

Again Islamic months, cannot be 28 days. It is 29 days or max 30 days. So in this Month, now Arabic month Shaban, we need to start sighting the moon on 29th night of Shaban. That is the 1st possible sight of New Moon. If we do not see it on 29th night, then we know next day is 30th of Shaban, and following day Must be 1st of Ramadan, even if we fail to see moon on 30th night of Shaban.

Hope I am clear on my explanation, waAllahu Alam.

Edited on, September 30, 2005, 10:16 PM GMT, by Dawah.