View Single Post
Old October 7, 2012, 12:41 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnaad
Another thing, while you all are jumping into the wagon of criticism of SJ, one has to take into consideration the fact that our 2nd best bowler is injured and hasn't had a go for a pretty long time now. Under SJ's tenure, he has done pretty well too. With such a shallow pipeline, it is really hard to gel a bowling attack with the likes of Rubel being injured. Spare a thought too because our pace bowling was not bad at all during the Asia cup that too with Rubel injured.
It's a good point. Without making excuses for anyone it is hard if you are missing a bowler like Rubel as the pipeline is so small behind him. I can recall fans saying Rubel was wayward and not effective when I arrived in the role, so we shouldn't forget that not everyone is a fan of Rubel. I love the guy... as I do Nazmul, who has been so poorly treated by successive selection policies.

I recall being told Mash was our best bowler yet we Banglawashed the Kiwis without him and this is where I feel Shafiul and Rubel gained genuine confidence and belief for the first time.

The problem comes from clutching at straws when a bowler has a decent match. Instead of backing a fast bowler and working with him to develop his skills, they get discarded almost series by series - yet there is no place they can go be be developed outside of the national team where it isn't the role of a national coach to do hard-nosed development work for players who are meant to be internationals. SJ just wouldn't have the time.

My first viewing of Bangladesh bowlers in 2010 had Mash (carrying a knee injury and lost the captaincy), Shafiul, Rubel, Shahadat, Nazmul, Syed Rasel, Dollar, Robin and some promising net bowlers.

The fast bowling relies now on just Mash and Shafiul.