View Single Post
Old June 13, 2006, 12:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Australia worthy of our respect: Brazil

Thursday Jun 8 16:32 AEST

Australia is already worthy of clear World Cup favourite and group rival Brazil's respect, says a leading Brazilian coach.
But the Socceroos must be disciplined in possession and launch lightning counter-attacks to have any chance against Ronaldinho and his outrageously talented team-mates, advised Oswaldo de Oliveira, the boss of Brazilian club Fluminense.
A series of gutsy performances, including a victory over Uruguay to qualify for Germany and the recent warm-up draw with world No.3 the Netherlands, in the lead-up to the 2006 World Cup caught the eye of de Oliveira.

He may have coached Brazil stars Robinho and Kaka at club level and won a World Club Cup in 2000 with Corinthians but the Rio de Janeiro-based coach said he was impressed by the Socceroos' style.

I like what I see," de Oliveira said in Sydney on Thursday.
"To beat Uruguay is very difficult. They are fighters and very difficult to beat. I like the style Australia played.
"Holland didn't play 100 per cent but anyway I like very much some of Australia's players, they showed they are at a good level and can play very well in the World Cup."
De Oliveira said while Brazil should not underestimate Australia when the two sides meet on June 18 in Munich, it will play its normal game.
"We have to respect the Australian players," he said.
"But if somebody must change, Australia must change against Brazil.
"They must have a very strong strategy to enforce the rhythm and ball possession.
"If you give the chance to Brazil to have the ball for a long time, you are giving us the game. Australia must mark very well and play very fast in counter-attack."
De Oliveira also tipped Australia to get past the first round in Germany - as long as it beats Japan in its opening game.
"I think Japan and Australia must fight a lot in the first game because the chance for the two countries will be decided in this game," he said.
"I think Australia, Japan and Croatia, they will fight for second place."
The Brazilian mentor warned however that the round of 16, where Australia would most likely meet Italy or USA, would be the last stop for the Socceroos if they survived the group stage.
The World Cup heavyweights will have found their feet by then and experience will be a telling factor in who progresses through the knockout stages, de Oliveira said.
In the country to promote Brazil-Australia relations through football, four-time Brazilian championship-winner de Oliveira did not rule out bringing his coaching talents Down Under in the future.
When asked if he was interested in replacing outgoing Australia coach Guus Hiddink, de Oliveira revealed he had been approached by A-League champion Sydney FC to be its inaugural coach.
"Last year Sydney FC [approached me] to bring me here but we didn't grow in our negotiations but I hope in the future I have a chance to come," he said.