View Single Post
Old November 6, 2010, 07:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
If I'd been a batsman all my life, and made it to international cricket purely as a batsman, I'd be pretty annoyed if a coach told me he wants to train me into a pacer. These guys are struggling to keep their place as batsmen (though Jahirul shouldn't be having any issues), and rather than focus on regaining their batting form, they're having to practice something they've never done in domestic cricket, let alone international cricket. Any player would be reluctant under those circumstances. Stupid Idea and a complete waste of time I say.
Both Steve and Mark Waugh bowled some very useful medium pace, but, frankly, as a professional it's a very simple equation.

If you and another bloke are in competition for that final batting spot, if you can take the odd wicket as a change bowler, or even just rest the real bowlers for a six over spell, and he can't, then you get the nod and he doesnt.

If you are pretty useless in the subcontinent, but can swing the ball a bit. then you get that last spot to go to England or New Zealand.

And so on and so forth.