View Single Post
Old June 21, 2012, 04:46 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Gower, Laxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
Based on BPL as well, I think Riyad could be an option as the T20 #3.

I wouldn't mind seeing the following being tested in Europe with an eye to the world cup:

1/2 : Ashraful/Tamim/Anamul/Junaid (TBH, I'm not sure Tamim even belongs in the T20 squad. His rotation and SR are not suited for this format and it impacts the team. My pick at the moment would be Ash/Junaid)
3 : Riyad
4 : Shakib
5 : Nasir
6 : Mushy
7 : Ziaur (develop him as a finisher to hit on demand. He should be allowed to play without pressure and given the freedom to swing)
8 : Mash
9 : Razzak (under no circumstances do you let him bat higher than this)
10 : Sunny
11 : Abul/Shafiul/Rubel/Nazmul (whoever the best available pacer is)
I can't appreciate this selection. Apart from Shakib and Mushy, Tamim is the only player in the team who possesses the ability of clean-hitting. Neither Mahmudullah nor Nasir has this ability. Both Tamim and Shakib see the ball early, hence have ample time to make their way. Tamim is not as dynamic as Shakib in reading the ball, thus can't conjure up boundaries as effortlessly as Shakib does. He however is peerless when it comes to timing the ball. He is one of the few destructive batsmen who can destruct any pace bowling Lately he also learnt how to punish the spinners. Tamim is simply the best batsman in our side, t20 or not. He doesn't play with brute force, but t20 is not either all about brutal power hits.

As for Riyadh being no.3 batsman, his weakness against quality pace bowling is well documented. In fact, he doesn't possess enough shots in hand which would make him eligible for batting in the top. He batted well today. But nothing earth shattering. He remains capable of playing such innings. But still far from being as capable-hitter as Mushy or Ashraful. Given his improved bowling, I don't however think his place in the squad is under threat.