View Single Post
Old March 5, 2015, 09:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi
Default Sachin Tendulkar wants as many as 25 teams in the next world cup

I think this idea or topic has been discussed here in recent times, still i feel that we need to open a thread about this. As an ambassador for the world cup, this is a very significant statement and hopefully ICC can reverse their decision before its too late. Tendulkar has always been a legend both on and off the field, a very likable character.

One of the finer points raised in the article talks about how Top nations can send their A teams to consistently play against the lesser ranked team, I think this is a fantastic idea which will help pretty much every cricket nation and it will ensure more competitive cricket since more competitive A team structure means more competitive pool-base of players to choose from which will inevitably lead to non-performers getting a free ride no more(most teams in world cricket has somebody that is getting a free ride ).

Quote:
Sachin Tendulkar has called the ICC's decision to reduce the number of teams in the 2019 World Cup "a backward step" in the global expansion of cricket and described the lack of consistent matches available to Associate sides as "unfair".

Tendulkar, an ambassador for the World Cup on behalf of the ICC, told an audience at an exclusive dinner in Sydney that the ICC should instead be exploring ways to expand the next World Cup to as many as 25 teams.

He also suggested Full Member nations should regularly play their 'A' sides against Associates and strive to provide a "fair platform" for smaller cricketing countries.

"I found out the next World Cup would only be ten teams," said Tendulkar. "Which is slightly disappointing because as a cricketer I want the game to be globalised as much as possible and, according to me, this is a backwards step.

"We've got to find ways of encouraging the lesser teams."

Tendulkar also contradicted the views of ICC chief executive David Richardson, who defended the planned reduction of teams from 14 to 10, by suggesting, "The World Cup itself, the premium event, without exception should be played between teams that are evenly matched and competitive."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cric...ry/841887.html