View Single Post
Old March 6, 2015, 09:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by naim519
Why a ten-team World Cup is right
The sport's top event must be a high-quality affair. It's up to us to ensure that Associates get a fair chance at making the cut for it...

Do I believe that teams like Ireland and Afghanistan have a bright future in international cricket? Yes, I do. Do I want the Associate nations to play more cricket? Yes, I do. But do I want the World Cup in 2019 to include 14 nations or more? No, I don't. Am I contradicting myself by promoting the cause of the Associate nations and yet not favouring their being a part of the world event? No, I'm not. Allow me to explain.

Firstly, the World Cup, in my opinion, does not need 14 unevenly matched teams to compete over a month, dishing out some lacklustre cricket in the process. In any sport the World Cup must be a marquee event, and that must showcase the best possible level of skill. Having teams that have neither the adequate skill nor the exposure to compete against the big guys promotes and facilitates mediocrity.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/843001.html
10 Team is also pushing it. What about teams like Afghanistan and Ireland? They provide the g8 teams a run for their money. Going by your logic I think a 12 team WC, with 4 groups of 3 teams is the best way to go about this. Top 2 out of 3 qualifies for QF, and the tournament ends in a month.

Plus a 10 team WC would just feel like having a Champions Trophy rather than a WC, and would be extremely boring to watch.