View Single Post
Old August 11, 2018, 02:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
I think you need to check scorecards, shanto only opened in a small number, not most (saif opened with anamul in most games). In fact shanto got 133 not out and also 150 not out batting at 3 in the last series of DPL. You can look up the scorecards on cricinfo, I had to go to the 2018 DPL, click tables, click Abahani, then click results so I could check them because cricino wouldn’t let me see the cards any other way. The only matches shanto opened were the last 3.

I think people remember him as an opener because in those 3 matches he scored two tons and a half century.

I know saifuddin has done more as a bowler than soumya, but saifuddin has been brought up mainly as a bowler who can bat a bit and soumya primarily as a batsman. from what I saw last time saifuddin played in the national team the bowling between the two was not much different, and soumya has achieved more with the bat.

Probably if we pick a pace allrounder they won’t bowl much, this is why I say soumya is a better option at this point, maybe if saifuddin is given a lot of games he may become a better option as a bowling allrounder by WC, maybe not. But right now if we need a pace bowling allrounder who bowls a few overs soumya would be a better pick imo.

Ariful, FC wickets don’t mean much when selecting for ODIs or t20s, if he was alread6 an established international short format player coming back from injury and was taking wickets in the FC format then maybe, but otherwise we need to look at his short format bowling when selecting him for short formats.
Shanto also got 2 hundreds playing as an opener. He is comfortable in both positions and since Shakib is doing well at 3, he should open.

Sarkar has been a failure with the bat for the whole year and Saifuddin has been used as the 6th bowler in the ODI format getting few overs here and there. He was among the top wicket takers in BPL and can actually bat if given enough balls (shown against South Africa).

Ariful on the other hand has picked up wickets even for the A team when given enough overs to bowl. Him being a smasher of the ball, he can take Sabbir's place in the squad. He is one of those players who improve with maturity rather than rely on early talent to get into the national team.