View Single Post
Old September 5, 2005, 10:13 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
I fear, consistency is a ‘Culture’ which is itself rare in the socio-cultural structure of most of the Subcontinental Countries.
cricwizard had also raised the point of the 'national character' reflecting in the way in which a cricket team does. Thus the cricket teams of Pakistan are generally indisciplined and impetuous, West Indians are carefree and careless, England teams are often dull with hardly a player who moves away from the conventional and Bangladeshi and Indian teams are meek.

It is often an outstanding captain - as a leader of men, but not necessarily as a tactician - who has made a difference in this general nature. Recent examples would be Imran, Ranatunga and Ganguly. It is like the concept of the tipping point, where one person or event causes a dramatic change in the way things are done. I think it is only the captain who can cause the change - great players like SRT in the 1990s and Lara now, despite being influential figures, have had little control over how the team does.

In ten or fifteen years, in the normal course of events, Bangladesh should move towards the middle of the table to where New Zealand and West Indies are now. But for something more than that there need to be someone who does things in a very different way. I can't see anyone who is remotely like that among the current players.

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 4:45 AM GMT, by Tintin.