Thread: Ramadan Mubarak
View Single Post
Old November 20, 2003, 06:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally posted by pompous
orph man!

if you look at the most populated Muslim countries of the world today...they are growing at 2.2-2.5% at the most! I am at work now...so I will furnish some data later on.
Although it will be illogical to suggest that Muslim growth is .4% annually through conversions from the datas above, there is no reason to believe that People aren't converting to Islam. People ARE but then again people are also coverting to all sorts of religion when they are bored.

It's a shame that I didn't save the link to this data but in US, the top threat to Christianity does not come from any religion. It is from the non-believers/atheist. Jew and Muslim growth were about the same (0.7)

Now let's get back to the main point of Quran being the choice of rational people. I will consider rational people as those with higher education. Now please don't quibble over the meaning of rational now.

It is very hard to find datas (non-existant most likely) where they juxtapose Quran and rational people. Since Quran is the words of God, a person has to believe in God first in order to believe in his words. Take a look at this chart: (scroll down to table 2 - bottom of table 2)
http://65.54.244.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?...sp%3fPID%3d408

Code:
 Percentage that they are abso-bloody-lutely sure there is GOD.
High school or less
 %

Some college
 %

College graduate
 %

Post graduate
 %

You see the correlation here right? As people get more educated, they are turning away from God.

So what makes you say that Islam is the choice of more smart people whereas "smart" people think they are God themselves. So, I think the case is much stronger if you say that most of nonbelievers/atheist fall in the more rational category. I will call this group "Brights" :P

Here is an excerpt from an essay which will clearly show you that Islam/Quran is rather the choice of illiterates. Keep in mind, this is the world picture - not a particular nation unless mentioned.
Quote:
.....the Muslim countries. The average literacy rate is around 38 per cent and in rural areas in Muslim countries, the illiteracy rate among Muslim women is 93 to 97 per cent.....The mean rate for literacy for the Muslims is 35 per cent lower than that for the Third World, and 40 per cent below the worlds average......

The data suggests that almost two-thirds of the Muslims worldwide are illiterate....

Pakistan is the most advanced Muslim country in science and technology among Muslim nations. However, the literacy rate for Pakistan, home to the second largest Muslim Ummah in the world, ranks the lowest among the most populous nations, is even below the average for the Muslim nations.....
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

So pompous, please don't kid yourself when you think Quran is chosen by the intellectuals!

I still wanna see the conversion percentage of differenct religion. If anyone can find it.. share! All I know is conversion to Islam increased after sept 11 and it is high among Brits.

By the way pompous, your intriguing datas on white women (rational? HAHA), and undergrads are futile if there is no comparison w/ other beliefs.

[Edited on 20-11-2003 by Orpheus : url added]