View Single Post
Old May 27, 2004, 02:59 PM
First Class Cricketer

my dear optimist,

we're getting away from the main point, but I could not resist making some points: when u have a genuine allrounder (who is like a batsman) u still have six batsman.. in eighties..most all-rounders played at six. India had shastri at 6, kapil at 7, Pakistan even had ejaj at 7, imran at 6. Both the waughs played at number Waughand this Jone guy is not a bad batsman at all and has a first class average over 40, you can also look at the Alec Stewert era for England..he also played at six.

I think we should not follow bad example. What is the point here: you play five batsman, and five bowlers??? Can you afford that without a genuine allrounder or a wicket keeper batsman??

further, on using bad example, I thought NOT using a nick name is a good example, but u think one needs courage to do that, i.e, to use a nickname.. u see, how bad example is hailed, good example is not?

one thing, i agree though this faisal guy can wait... but if he plays and misses out u have to give him another chance... so he will be in for another test as well...by the way, if Rana, afterall plays, we have the same team (the one played against Zim).. just Tareque for Monjurul. It looks thin.

Another point, no one in the recent history was in the shoes of our openers....they play in both test, happens whatever may... if Golla has four bad innings..who knows carrer can be over!!!

basiclly: if top order can do the job then it will NOT matter who is batting at six and seven..