View Single Post
Old June 16, 2008, 01:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Hats off to Maldives for the amazing result!
Looks like the 'traditional' weaker teams are making up for their lost times, and the powerhouse of South Asian football is taking the opposite route.

With Bhutan making it to the semis and Srilankans also having a good formidable team, the stakes would be higher in the next SAFF championship.
Echo those sentiments bro, but I don't think we have what it takes to remain a "powerhouse of South Asian football". The phrase itself is almost an oxymoron and sounds almost as comical as "the powerhouse of Middle Eastern cricket" ...

Besides, being stuck inside the WORST footballing region in Asia is a dead end, especially with dwindling fanbase for the sport in the region as a whole. People have smartened up, thanks to cable and satellite TV, and have no illusions as to the real quality of South Asian soccer.

We lack the speed, strength, stamina and skill required to compete with our Southeast Asian neighbors like Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam, let alone real Asian powerhouses like Japan, South Korea, Australia (now in the AFC), Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

Even "on the verge" Asian soccer nations like Bahrain, Qatar, Jordan, China, North Korea, Uzbekistan and Tukmenistan can blow us away 90 out of 100 times. Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, UAE, Kirghizistan and Myanmar on the other hand, will beat us only 80 out of 100 times.

Basically, everyone else has moved forward while we're still stuck on stupidity and nostalgia for "the golden years".

Quote:
If Bangladesh can get their acts together on time, with indian wanting to win the cup back, the next outing will be an exciting one.
Salahuddin has to do the impossible and I wish him the best of luck. "Exciting" is not the word that leaps to mind.

Sorry to sound so grumpy bro, I'm just sick to my stomach watching the SAFF tournament. The choices that we make !
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 16, 2008 at 01:30 AM..