View Single Post
Old October 25, 2008, 03:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Well As someone already mentioned before, you should first visit Bangladesh for a month vacaion and check out the oppurtunities for yourself.

Shafin and "thebest" have made some valid points. I personally do not feel that Militancy is a big issue at the moment, but it remains a huge threat for future. The law of the land does not permit for any pre emptive arrest and hence there is nothing that one can really do against organizations like "hizbut tahrir- Bangladesh"(HTB). But can HTB pull off another "Bangla bhai"? I don know. Should this stop someone from settling back to Bangladesh? Definately not I guess...

Finally I have to differ on "shafin" on some of his points....
Firstly Government did not take instant action against "Bangla Bhai"....The then governement (BNP and Jammat) even said that JMB is just a media creation.

Agree that a lot of Madrassa student are open minded and Tarique Masud was himself a Madrassa student. I have had the chance to visit a few madrassas, I can confidently say that Shahjalal Madrassa in Sylhet is one of the best educational institute in Bangladesh that I have seen. But unfortunately the majority of the madrassas thus preach hatred against the west and weternized society. And at the end of the day it is the majority that counts.

The statue is not meant to offend the religious people. I am a muslim and it doesnt offend me. The statue was suppose to represent our proud folk culture. It wasnt a staue of a "Pig" as u make it sound like by drawing a parallelism with " a statue of a cow getting slauhtered". A vain attempt I would say. No one is worshipping the baul statue, our country is not united by religion but it is united by our bangladeshi identity. How is the statue a problem?

I am happy that u atleas condemn the agitation at the DU campus by madrassa student. There are ways to peacefully protest and get your voice heard. Even after your condemnation you have made a vain attempt to defend these religious bigots by drawing another parallel with the fights between the "Leagues" and the "Dal". They are all at fault here. Not to mention I for one do not expect the students of a peaceful religion like Islam to be involved in such kind of agitation. That signifies the violence that Madrassa teaches them.