View Single Post
Old August 10, 2004, 12:11 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I agree with the fact that Kapali being dropped by the current selectors is a fair decision.

But since the question of selectors are being raised, I want to come ahead with something else, though it is not perfectly relevant for this particular thread, but I think it does relate to the selectors a little bit.

The impression is that Aftab, Nafis, and Nazmul are doing pretty well in England. So that is one reason for the selectors to give them a chance. It is true that they are not brought into the national side only for their performance in this England tour. However, I find their performance in England to be quite average.

Aftab has an average of only 30.00, Nafis has an average of 22.00 and Nazmul Hossain has just got 1 wicket (besides being the worst bowler among all the Bangladeshi bowlers) from 1 test match against England Under-19 team.
Reference: BD U-19 vs ENG U-19

So, exactly how did these new trio get the selectors' nod? Was it only because they performed commandably against some weaker teams in practice matches?

To be honest, I have not been following Bangladesh U-19's games that close. But since these 3 players are now called upon to play for the national team, so I just went to the above site and looked at their individual performances.

The fact that Cricinfo doesn't feel it necessary to post the practice match stats of the BD U-19 players, so it pushes down the importance of our players' performances in those UNIMPORTANT practice matches.

What do you say about that?

I am pretty certain that once given a chance, Nafees, Aftab and Nazmul will prove me wrong and do something fantastic like Ashraful did. Before or unless that happens, I will raise my concerns about getting better or just as average players (like the national team players).