View Single Post
Old August 28, 2014, 07:34 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim
Default Team Chemistry and Bangladesh

It's no news that our team is going through what possibly is one of the longest cold streaks and we have been discussing, mocking, arguing about various reasons and causes behind this streak. Reasons include technical inability, temperament issues, lack of adaptability in foreign conditions, attitude problems, captaincy issues and so on. I feel like one factor we have been ignoring recently is the fact that our team chemistry was never this bad. Couple of factors contributed to the decline in team chemistry for our team. I believe our side is separated between the cores and the youngstars. However, thats the story for every team around the world. However the attitude with our group differs from a perfect team example. I believe barring few, our cores feel a little insecure of their position and reputation with so many youngsters around. Because our cores are "cores" based on their match experience more than their talent or career statistics. This does affect the team chemistry at some point.

On the other hand, our youngstars seems to consider themselves youngstars forever and are not willing to take the responsibility of a core player. Take Nasir for example. He has been with the side for long enough to consider himself a core. The selectors sure considers him as a core. But his play translates a different story. Infact him on his earlier days had more intent and the willingness to take responsibility than currently. He is perfectly happy to "make the squad"

It also doesnt help when the captain starts blaming everyone for the defeats. Yes, I get it that Mushy is probably the most responsible and matured player but since when when did blaming others was a solution? Us spectators, the board, the coach can see which player isnt performing and who is to blame and where. You dont need to go on and announce your frustration about it in media. I have seen Mushy do this a couple times and unsurprisingly, this is the worst thing you can do to ruin your team chemistry. You dont always have to blame either your self or the rest for a mistake. Its a team game... The team wins when everyone contributes! Its the same way around. When the team loses, the blame is on everyone and it should be "us" not "them" or "myself"

Right now what I see is the players are quite happy to do their part and forget the rest. Yes if everyone plays their role well than the team wins but that is a fantasy at best. Surely there will be members in the team who will struggle at times and thats when the other member has to do the double duty to hold the team together. Right now everyone is so worried and insecure about their positions that they dont care what is happening with the rest. Mushfiq for example is just trying one thing after another and he seems to be fine with it as long as no one can point fingers at him. I didnt see him having a chat with the seniors very often when the team was in trouble because obviously that would mean him sacrificing his dignity or whatever you want to call it.

Have you guys noticed the wording of our players in recent interviews? I hear our players saying things similar to, "i want to improve against short deliveries", "I want to keep taking wickets", "I want to score runs and come back to my old form". How often do you hear a player saying, "I want to help my team win", "I want to help out the ones struggling". Sure they say it every once in a while but do they mean it? Its good to set a personal goal but at the end of the day the ultimate goal as an athlete of a team sport should be to bring victory for the whole team.

I think somehow the team chemistry needs to be revived. The players has to develop a relationship where they help each other and works on a collective goal. Dont just work towards a 50.. work towards a 100 partnership. If it means rotating strikes to give the other batsman more deliveries than be it. If it means to retain strike while the other settles in with the condition than be it. If it means to go for the wicket while the other bowler is trying to keep the economy low than be it.

At the end of the day, our players has to work as a team to correct their flaws, get out of a tight situation or keep the pressure alive.

Thoughts appreciated guys and please know the things I said is from my personal observation and I dont claim them to be the most accurate.