Thread: Pace Pipeline
View Single Post
Old October 3, 2012, 08:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Shoja shapta kotha hochhe: batting hok, spin bowling hok, kingba pace bowling hok, khelay bhalo bhabe perform korar jonno shoreer e jemon kichhu thaaka laagey, thhik temni mathay o kichhu thaka laage.
If we take a look at the educational background of our players and compare it with their overall performances, you will clearly see that the ones with better educational backgrounds are the ones who are on top of the lists. This applies everywhere.
Now why am I saying this? Here's why: We all know that our pacers are not as talented or well-built as many others from the other G8 teams+ Afghanistan (Yes their pacers have impressed me quite a lot). Yes, stating the obvious. Then what are we supposed to do? Well, utilize whatever is there to the fullest and hope for the best. And what kind of a bowler can do it for us? Someone with wit and someone who has done the homework on the batsmen properly.
Being a left arm pace bowler myself (Nothing professional, but still), whenever I am bowling, what do I try to do? Bowl an ideal line and length to start off with and then during the slog overs, try to read the batsmen's mindset and bowl accordingly. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it does not. Now, I am not a pro but for limited overs cricket, wherever you play, this is, more or less, the ideal approach.
Now, have our pace bowlers tried to maintain the perfect line and length? No. What have they opted for this time around (T20I WC)? Short balls that were already being battered around by Shakib and co. in the 1st innings of the Pakistan match.
Have our pacers been respected/ gifted when they have bowled or tried to bowl just outside the off line with a perfect or nearabout length? Yes. Edges, leaves showing respect, play and misses spoke for themselves in Asia Cup and T20I world cup too.
Bottom line is: We need to stick to basics, bowl intelligently and hope for the best. Grey matter and proper implementation akash theke eshe porbe na. Our bowlers need to study batsmen's psychology, pitch conditions and bowl accordingly. Homework and classwork are equally important in this case. Give me a break from "talented but seldom delivers" (Because I have had enough with Ashraful already).
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]