View Single Post
Old August 25, 2004, 12:31 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Best Playing XI, as we speak...

Ok. I always enjoy announcing my 'sure success' eleven . So here I go again.....

1. Javed Omar
2. Nafis Iqbal
3. Majarul Islam/ Md. Ashraful*
4. Rajin Saleh
5. Md. Ashraful/ Manjarul Islam*
6. Aftab Ahmed
7. Khaled Masud
8. Mushfiqur Rahman
9. Khaled Mahmood/ Md.Rafique**
10.Tapash Baishya
11.Tareq Aziz ***

* Both Ash and Rana would surely be playing in my final eleven at no.3 or no.5 spot. Both JO and NI are genuine openers , so we should rather try Ash at 3 or 5. Ash recently played well against new ball and batting at no.3 would give him the added value of his innings if he can play a long one leaving Rana at 5 with dashing batsman Aftab to follow who can change tempo of the game. On the other hand, last time Rana played at opening he did well. There is no question about his sheer will to stay at the crease and help others building innings around him which would make him a good make-shift no.3 and Ash back to no.5 which is, i still believe, his best position if not no.4. He won us our last ODI victory batting at no.5 position.

** Summer is almost over in England. In September, beginning of English winter season , I would like to see atleast 3 quicks in my team leaving Rafique and Mahmood to fight out for a spot. Like Chinaman I would prefer Mushfiq ahead of Mahmood as I do believe he is the best first change bowler at present situation. Tapash is an automatic choice. I'd rotate Rafique and Mahmood against the likes of Ireland and perhaps Scotland. If Rafique can't cut it, which is a hugh possibility seeing him in the Asia Cup, then Mahmood would get the nod for England.

*** Right now, Tareq seems to be a better choice than Nazmul. There is a possibility that Tareq would go for few runs if he opens with Tapash in first couple of overs. In that situation Mushfique can come in to check the scoring rate. Tareq proved to be a cool customer in the last 15 overs slot.

Pilot should bat at no.7. He can always take quick singles and doubles with occasional flurry of runs. Mushfiq should come after him.

7 batsmen + 5 bowlers ---> 4 quicks/swingers (possibly**) and a SLA

ODI cricket is designed for batsmen. Like Chinaman I hope this team should score 250+ consistantly.

I await wins.

Edited on, August 25, 2004, 5:39 PM GMT, by Zephaniah.