Thread: Request to fans
View Single Post
Old March 5, 2011, 04:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
But the difference is that the Barmy Army does not boo and jeer their OWN players, only the opposition players. And this is important. NO FANS should ever boo or jeer their own players. The fans are a PART OF THE TEAM. Fans have a big role to play at the World Cup by being the extra player in the team.

I am certain that all fans expect the players and coaches to support each other. I am sure the fans expect the players and coaches to try their best. I am sure all fans expect when things go wrong, for the players and coaches to get behind each other.

Ian in order to gain respect from the fans, you also have to give that respect to them!
Here in England, we are passionate and supportive of English cricket because we KNOW that the team respects and appriciates our affort just as equally.However it saddens me to say that the same cant be said about Bangladesh cricket.
In an interview with the BBC after yesterday's defeat to WI, upon being asked about the fans reaction, Shakib said something along the lines of "you can always expect that sort of stuff in Bangladesh..when we play good they support you and and when we dont they boo us". Made Bangladesh fans sound pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Sir I am a British born bangladeshi and aswell as being a proud Brit, I love Bangladesh just as much any Bangladeshi citizen. And Im not gonna lie that comment made my blood boil so one can only imagine how it feels to a die hard Bangladeshi based cricket fan when your own team captain cant stick up for you (especially in front of source such as the BBC).
Dont think Straussy will ever say "ohh well you know how it is the Barmy army just support you when your playing well and dont when you not play well" after being bowled out for 58 in a high profile match. Or an even better example, at the football Worldcup last year you would remember how a certain Mr Rooney reacted to fans boos after the game against Algeria!! Well its sort of similar to that really.. Ofcourse you being a ManU fan, dont know what you thought of it but to the rest of us it was a SLAP IN THE FACE.
Speaking of the English cricket team, I dont think they'd ever dare to come out in the field all smiles, joking and fooling around when you've just been bowled out for 58 in front if the home crowd..just a thought...
Anyways I would like to conclude this mini rant saying that this isnt a dig at Shakib or the team. I've always supported my tigers and will be doing so for as long as I live. But while you and Julien are there..maybe you should teach him a thing a two about how to confront the media, Im sure with your experience it'll do him a whole lot of good.