View Single Post
Old July 25, 2004, 08:10 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
Here's a topspin for you

Anyway, thank you Imtiaz for such a thoughtful thread. Any plan to write an article for the front page based on the stats? Arnab will write one, but it's always good to have second and third opinions. Tintin? No rush.
__________________________________________________ ________________

I think what has come about is more than adequate. After all, any calculation will be prone to bias of some kind. In over hundred years of cricket, the average has been accepted as the yardstick. For good reason. It is easy to compute and easy to understand. For Bangladesh, the Whatmore era is a clearly defined period. So using that as a basis makes sense. Otherwise , I would work on calendar year basis. Any year would continue until June of the following year. So calculations will have a minimum spread of 12 months and a maximum spread of 18 months.

One gem has come off the calculations. Bangladesh's economy rate being somewhere in the middle amongst all countries over at least 21 matches [ a pretty large sample ], shows that it is clearly our batting which is holding back those elusive victories.

Scores above 220 will begin to produce the occasional result. Above 240 - 250 they should start coming in regularly.

I feel our spin attack as well as the fact that our medium pacers are relatively slow helps us in ODI's. Accurate slow or slower bowling is more difficult to get away. If you note really quick attacks unless they happen to be very good [ i.e. Australia ] go for too many runs. The reason Pakistan and India win matches is primarily with their batting and not their bowling.

Well done, all of you. I might take up your offer of writing a column. However, I am off on a trip for a few days - so it might be the latter part of the week.