View Single Post
Old July 25, 2004, 08:22 AM
Test Cricketer

[quote]Originally posted by chinaman
Here's a topspin for you

Bangladesh batted cautiously against Hong Kong to get over with the Canada spell. Moreover, they play cautiously so often that it has become the norm for them. They say its a mental thing, I say, the more we keep the stats away from this mental thing, the better. The only example that comes to me right away that they seemed to play what could rather be called aggressively is the match against Pakistan last week.
__________________________________________________ ________________
Agreed. The most positive piece coming out of the SL game for me was that we scored 90 runs in the last 12 overs. I believe 99 over the last 14. This shows we have the capacity to "slog" or perhaps even "chase". Only, seldom do these opportunities arise for us.

The reason we got an opportunity yesterday, was despite the fact we were 31/4, we still had 6 wickets in hand at the end of the 38th over. The 5th wicket fell, I think, in the 42nd over. Rana was stumped trying to carve Murali. Nothing wrong with that.

Of course, it was the "if only" situation. If only, we were 160/4 at the end of over 40 rather than 119/4. For that the batsmen are, as always, totally culpable.

Psychologically chasing 250 and chasing 190, is not the same thing. Even experienced batsmen make mistakes.