View Single Post
Old August 26, 2013, 11:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
To be fair with Riyad, he's been a key performer for us in ODI's. This year he's been our 2nd highest scorer along with Tamim. Since last WC, he's been our 5th highest scorer in ODI's with an avg of about a 51 and SR of an 82 although that avg is inflated by the 10 NO's he has. He does have 5 50's in that time period which shows he's getting big scores as well and is right up there alongside Tamim, Shakib, Mushy and Nasir.

As for Naeem, I'd be willing to give him a run at the #3 spot. I believe he could succeed in that position. I know he wasn't great in the WI series at that spot but hopefully this 121 against the Lions will give him confidence for the NZ series.

Like I said for Shabbir, maybe just T20I's. He'd have a hard time making the ODI squad since we're already settled there. The weak link in the team is Mominul but Id' rather have him there then Shabbir since Mominul has already proved himself at the Academy and A team level which Shabbir has yet to do.
naeem has always been this sort of player. one match he'll show in toughest of situations that he can quite nicely play quality bowlers and score runs, in the next match he'll do poorly against poor quality bowlers in the easiest of situations and conditions. i've always thought he's got what it takes but he needs to put it together more often. in saying that i to wouldn't be against giving him a run at #3, what are the other options? mominul probably, or anamul but we need him opening in ODIs imo.

actually i forgot riyad has been quite decent with the bat in ODIs lately, he's been that bad in tests that that's all that really comes to mind when i think of him. fair enough to keep him around in ODIs, as long as he keeps his recent form in that format going.

so with that being said agree with you about shabbir/mominul. shabbir hasn't really proved anything with the bat, if anything he's proved himself more with the ball oddly enough since he's seen much more as a batsman. hopefully he works on his batting a bit, he's starting to bowl more often and he's getting wickets, if he picks up with the bat then we can really talk about him for ODIs, maybe try him in t20Is.