View Single Post
Old May 27, 2006, 02:27 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Result of World Cup Preparation Matches

Koreans show strength with Bosnia win

Korea Republic, strengthened by the return of their Europe-based players, beat Bosnia-Herzegovina 2-0 in a FIFA World Cup™ warm-up match on Friday.
Seol Ki-Hyeon opened the scoring for the home side in the 50th minute, heading in from close range after the visitors' goalkeeper, Romeo Mitrovic, could only half-clear an effort by Ahn Jung-Hwan.
Cho Jae-Jin made certain of victory by blasting in a second from the edge of the area in the 90th minute, to the delight of most of the 64,836 spectators in the Seoul World Cup stadium.
"I think it was a very effective game," Korea Republic coach Dick Advocaat told a news conference. The Dutchman had brought back his European players, including England-based duo Park Ji-sung and Lee Young-pyo, after his team had struggled at times to impose themselves in their last warm-up match against Senegal.
"I am very happy that our team kept the confidence after 0-0 at half-time", he added.
Bosnia-Herzegovina looked dangerous on the break aided by the trickery on the left of Admir Vladavic, who forced a good save from South Korean keeper Lee Woon-Jae in the 24th minute, but appeared to fall off the pace a little in the second half.
"We controlled the game for almost 75 minutes", Advocaat said, adding that he thought midfielder Lee Eul-Yong, who plays for Turkish side Trabzonspor, was the best player on the pitch.
Lee Chun-Soo also had a good match, constantly hustling the European side before being substituted by young striker Park Chu-Young.
The South Koreans, who were held 1-1 by Senegal on Tuesday, now travel to Europe for final warm-up matches against Ghana and Norway. "The majority of the team we know, but I can't say I know all 11 players", said Advocaat, who declined to answer a question about the possibility of a return to club football after the FIFA World Cup, apart from saying he had options. The 2002 semi-finalists face France, Switzerland and Togo in Group G, with their opening game against the African side on 13 June.