View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Dhaka, February 4, 2013
Media Release
Regarding the issue of Dhaka Gladiators captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Recent reports published on few daily newspapers regarding Dhaka Gladiators captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza not playing in the match against Chittagong Kings on February 2, 2013 has caught attention of the franchise.

Many questions have been raised on why Mashrafe was kept out of the playing eleven in the match against the Kings and reasons stated were found inappropriate by the Dhaka franchise.

The franchise will like to bring to your attention that it was decision of the Dhaka Gladiators management and head-coach Ian Pont to rest Mashrafe in the match.

The team physiotherapist, Priyantha Wickramasingha (Sri Lanka) had earlier advised the head coach about Mashrafe’s past injuries. At the half stage of the tournament, head coach Ian Pont along with opinion from the management decided to rest the captain of the side in the game and never had any ill motive.

On the other hand, the franchise and Mashrafe had a meeting to clear the air. Dhaka Gladiators are hopeful to see their captain back in action in the match against Rangpur Riders tomorrow.

Quotes of head coach Ian Pont
Our team physiotherapist (Priyantha) few days back advised me of the condition of Mashrafe. We all know about the injuries he had in the past and thus thought it to be necessary to make him rest.
BPL has gone lengthy this time. Mashrafe is a key player of the team for which we should make sure that he is available with us for the whole tournament for which we should always try to avoid putting pressure on him. It’s a standard practice to make players rest in the middle of the tournament, not at the start or if you say in the semi-final or knock-out stage of the tournament.

Quotes of team physiotherapist Priyantha Wickramasingha
I advised of Mashrafe’s condition to our head coach. He is an asset for the team but we should also keep in mind that he has gone through seven ‘Anterior Crusiate Ligament Reconstructions’.
Furthermore this season’s of BPL is very crucial tournament as we are defending the title. I advised our coach to use him very carefully throughout the tournament and also said that it is very much important for us to evaluate his physical fitness and conditioning level in back to back matches.