View Single Post
Old January 22, 2005, 10:34 PM
Cricket Legend

You all are right in criticising Alok and Aftab.

However here are my two cents.

A match is all about POSITIVE contribution.

One should realise that Rajin Salah's career was all but over sans that splendid run-out of Mohd.Kaif that helped in no small terms in that historic ODI win to BD.

To a dispassionate observer, it was just a run-out and looking back at Rajin's performance till that ODI, he should've been dropped.

To the more passionate ones, his run-out turned the match in BD's favor and he deserved another chance just for that.

Chance he did get and revived his career he did with a good performance in the final ODI.

The point here is, Alok might've failed with his bat but he still had a positive contribution with ball. I thought he was played as an all-rounder rather than a pure batsman and surely had a positive contribution as a team member.

Aftab failed too, but he should be given a few more chances before being dropped. If he looked good a few weeks back, i am not sure why he can't be good now. Lean-patches are the times when players actually need your support.

They should both be tried for the first 3-ODIs before making way for some other players who in turn, should also be tried for atleast a couple of matches.

The immediate concerns of any team management should be totally non-contributing players, in my opinion.