Thread: Batting order
View Single Post
Old January 29, 2005, 06:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Optimist,

I wish I could share your confidence in our batting line-up. Our team has been putting up decent scores in the recent past, both against India and Zimbabwe, but I just can't agree that Bangladesh would go from 130 for 4 to 247 anyday, no matter who we play, even Namibia. I guess those days of going from 81 for 3 to 87 all out still haunt me!

I personally think Mashud did well today and his partnership with Ashraful played a large part in our posting the score we did. I just don't think our team has yet earned the reputation where we can say that we could have sent anyone out there and we would have reached close to 250 anyway. If another wicket had gone down at that point, we could have easily gone down for about 215-220!

Instead of asking whether going from 130 to 162 in the 40th over was acceptable, I would rather ask, was going from 130 for 4 to 247 acceptable? And if the answer to that question is yes, then ask whether Mashud and Ashraful consolidating in the middle overs contributed to that score? My answer is yes, yours is perhaps no.

Lastly, the reason why I asked you to clarify was because you used the word serious thrice in regard to how much doubt you had about this batting line-up. Yet from what you have said since, including the fact that you don't have a problem with Mashud coming in at 6, doesn't suggest that your doubts are all that serious. So I thought maybe I had missed something!

Edited on, January 29, 2005, 11:11 PM GMT, by Sham.