View Single Post
Old November 5, 2012, 01:55 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Warne McGrath and S Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Our "FC" isn't anywhere near where it should be given our resources and passion. It is a farce compared to other cricket tournaments in a country because of persistent neglect and abject disregard for context and qualitative analysis of these so called "FC" stats. National players are selected or discarded primarily due to nepotism or unsubstantiated impression by guys who don't recognize quality in either a technical or a tactical sense, and these stats are used to justify their inclusion or exclusion without any intellectual honesty whatsoever.

I'm not saying it should be as good as the FC in Australia, South Africa or England. I'm saying that it isn't where it should be on account of neglect compared to the DPL. The proof is in the pudding and just look at our record at the highest level. Any international team that even considers players like Nazimuddin, Rokibul Hasan, Jahurul Islam and many others deserve nothing better.
Right now the NCL is the place where players should be pushing their case for international duties, particularly test duties. If the 'wrong' players are making a better case here then the 'right' players only have themselves to blame. Like you say the standard is low and the passion is not there. So why then can't the guys with the most to gain plunder these weak, disinterested attacks, instead of getting out cheaply while Nazimuddin and co. score big.

I agree with you that selectors should be looking for more than just FC stats to make a call on who deserves national duty but the players still need to put up the numbers to attract attention.

Nazimuddin may fail at international level but as long as he stays a key player for his NCL side and is a hard man to remove he'll be a valuable asset to Bangladesh Cricket as he's a marker for young players. They have to be much better than him to make it in internationals, so averaging 35 is not enough, they have to average 50 or 60 to know they're a serious prospect.