View Single Post
Old May 12, 2007, 10:37 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
I think its different from Pathan's case. He's not been asked to come up the order yet. I think Bd mangement do realize that he's a bowler primarily and the runs he scores are binus, hence his batting position.

Imran Khan in Mashrafe? A bit too optimistic. But he's talented in his own right.
Here's my premise - to really deliver consistently - you have to be like Imran, Kapil, Botham, Hadlee, (maybe ) Kallis. Anything else is bits and pieces that leads one to become neither a batsman nor a bowler.

But to answer your point that he is different from Pathan because he has not been asked to come earlier in the batting order - This is what I predict will happen - He will continue to play these bits and pieces, non consequential innings like the kind Pathan initially played when he had joined. Soon he will find himself under bigger expectations in crunch situations. On a lucky day, when he is feeling confident, he will pull off a couple of innings. And expectations will supersize and that will make him rethink his role and sooner rather than later he will be asked to come up the order.

Check out the forums here to see if this has not already been talked about more than once. Its easier to play when there are no expectations as against when you are pinned against expectation. He might even become a handy bat but at what cost.

As they say - be careful of what you asked for coz you may get it.