View Single Post
Old August 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Mat---Inns--NO--Runs--HS-- Ave---- BF-- SR ----100--50-
23----23-----0--- 433---85--18.82-- 731-- 59.23- 0---2--

Dear capslock vai,

Can we really afford an opener with an average of less than 19 with shaky SR and only 2 ODI 50s under his belt? Over and over again, he will lose his wicket putting early pressure on our team. He lacks the temperment and only achievement he had was his 80something runs in T20 against Pakistan which made him a hearthrob poster boy for our country without producing anything worthwhile.

As preposterous may sound, I'd rather open with Ashraful because of Junaid's volatile nature than have the same thing in roundabout way by having him give away his wicket early.

Thoughts?

:-)
No way! Ashraful's average is barely better. You can't ignore the fact that even though Junaid's average is low, is innings of late have been improving. Thanks to the improved batting of the rest of the team Ashraful has become the crazy old uncle in the family who we can afford to humour.

The only alternative I could see for Junaid is SN, but then we have two left handers opening rather than the current left-right combo.