Thread: A Proposal...
View Single Post
Old April 24, 2010, 06:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Many of the instances of these unexpected public proposals (as opposed to say, engagement parties in Bangladesh) seem (to my cynical and suspicious mind) designed to take advantage of the shock and public pressure (because the masses always want a "yes" answer) to force the girl into saying yes.

Would a smart girl say "yes" in these scenarios? Perhaps some would, to avoid embarrassing the fellow. But many of the women I know, all quite fierce and intelligent, are more likely to get upset at the chap for putting them under the public spotlight like that, and simply reject him out of hand.
Shaad bhai, you are right in the sense that there is certainly a pressure on the girl to say yes but I am not sure how many men would employ such a tactic just to get a positive reply. Generally speaking, I think commitment to a life-long marriage takes longer time than 5 seconds to decide. As a guy, I would want a girl who would be happy to marry me, not a girl who is somewhat forced to. Having said that, I am sure there are some who will have no problem in employing this tactic on a confused soul. This is where intelligence of a girl come in handy. Knowing how to act in public situations like that, dealing with the assumed pressure is part of that intelligence. Perhaps saying yes and no later is not the most moral thing to do either. But what I don't like about this video is she walked away. She should have stayed with him. You don't have to say "yes" - just say "we need to talk about this later" - take the ring - give him a hug and stay with him.

Proposing in a half time or on screen in games is a very common phenomenon. You only get famous if something goes wrong. Why would you want that on you unable to control your "anger" for the moment.

take this video for example: (if this isn't fake)

Do you think this girl is someone with any brain whatsoever? This just looks BAD for her.

Now, I would employ such a public pressure tactic if I were to ask a girl out for let's say prom or on a date (and she has been ignoring me). But for marriage, never!