View Single Post
Old November 4, 2013, 03:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
Athar isn't a good commentator. If you believe it, he was even worse (far worse) when he started around 2003. But I will never ever hate him. Here's why:

When Bangladesh toured Pakistan in 2003 (we remember Multan, don't we?) everyone but him were Pakistani in the comm box and they were tearing our boys apart, often undeservedly. If you remember, the umpiring of that tour was absolute sh!t, worst I have ever seen and still the biased Pakistani commentators were overlooking all the howlers going against us. All except Athar. He was like a gladiator in the comm box, fending off the hungry lions all by his lonesome. I will always remember his stubborn defense. No matter how bad he is, one can't deny that he loves our cricket team more than most of us and that's a very desirable quality right now since we have so few friends in the comm box.

I think Athar's family originally is from Pakistan. He still has considerable family there and goes there from time to time. You will see that if you follow his FB page. But he decided to defend BD even in that hostile condescending Pak comm box.

Yes he is very passionate. Maybe not the best of commentators but certainly not the worst. I don't have any problem listening to him.