View Single Post
Old April 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Is bullying allowed in cricket match?

So often you see the interaction between the bowler and the bastmans in a game of cricket after a wonderful delivery or whenever there is a Polaroid momnet on the pitch. You see smiles all around. Nice to see those players often share a smile with their oponents.

Media probably don't cover this aspect of the game as much but bullying in a cricket match does happen. A common trait of Australians is to verbally bully their opponents whether they are batting or bowling.

I understand there is a fair bit of rivalry whenever Aussies play England. Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting and few other players were verbally taunting few of the English players during the last Ashes series both in England and in Australia. Shane Warne was calling Ian Bell "The sherminator" (American Pie) and all sorts. Eventually he got out. I am sure he was trying to teach the big bullys a lesson and failed. Australi's dirty tactics worked once again.

Worldcup 2007. Aus v SA. Near the end of SA innings Aussie bowlers were at it again. All SA batsman was saying, "Bring it one mate, bring it on!"

BD v IND - Patel was exchanging words with Tamim. We have no idea what was going on I am sure Patel was trying to mentally effect Tamim's performance. Fortunately for us Tamim replied like a true tiger. Harbajan Singh was even trying trip Saqib when he was trying to run between the wickets.

I just think this sort of unprofessional attitude mentally somehow effects the batsmans when they are so focused to play a good innings. Mind you, this happens right infront of Umpire's nose. Players don't complain about and the authorities take it lightly. Even though it's good for viewers I think players should play their innings uneffected and entertain us.

Some might not recognise this as bullying but bullying in any shape or form should be eradicated from everywhere.

I guess i am the only one who thinks it this way.