View Single Post
Old March 9, 2011, 03:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaig1
1. There has to be a play off before you swap teams between divisions. It is theoretically possible that last team in Div 1 is way stronger than Div 2 champions so do not switch automatically (when you say Pak moves to div2 and WI to div1) .

2. Also during play offs there has to be concept of home and away games. (when you say "SL (as #5) will play a 5 match series vs. BD (as #2) in SL. The winner moves/stays to DIV 1 and loser moves/stays to DIV 2. In the event of a tied series, SL retains its Div 1 status"). Why should the match be in SL only, probably 3 in SL but 2 in BD as well?

3. Also, don't you think that div2 teams need to tour more of div1 countries rather than just playing in home conditions? Div1 teams will get more stronger by touring other Div1 countries as well Div2 countries.

4. For Div1 teams, they tour 11 different countries just for ODI's. Not many teams are going to like that because there will be test tours,IPL tours apart from these regular ODI's. Obviously you would want to want to club these matches when there is a test tour.

5. Now combining my points 3 & 4. I think it would be more helpful if Div2 teams tour Div1 countries. It will serve many parties, first - give experience to div2 teams of the real challenge that they will eventually face and they will not feel out of place once they qualify to div1. I always feel that div2 teams need to tour more. Secondly, div1 team will readily face div2 teams in home as it won't take much of their time. Do you really think Australia would like to tour Holland for 3 matches and spend 10-15 days in already cramped schedule, but I think they would be more agreeable to host Holland which should not take more than 5-6 days. Thirdly, div1 teams can try out their fringe players in home conditions if they feel very confident of defeating div2 teams.

6. On your point of pruning the world cup, financially not many boards will like it. They loose viewer ship if multiple matches are held on same day. This time BCCI wanted all India matches on Saturday and Sundays and Bangladesh Board wanted all BD matches on Friday's.
Mine is a suggestion to to be used as a base for discussion.

1. I understand your point but with the automatic promotion/demotion it gives more meaning to winning the Div 2 league. It also mixes up the opponents for the next cycle a bit. If the team is truly that much stronger, they should end up swapping spots within 3 years.

2. I decided to give advantage to the DIV 1 team to prevent wholesale changes each cycle. It just puts extra pressure on DIV-2 runner up to prove being deserving of DIV 1

3. Don't disagree but that would require a schedule with 10 teams (minimum). If you can draw up something that makes sens timeline wise and you think could convince India to host BD and ZIM, lets discuss.

4. I think this will be more appealing to the DIV 1 teams

5. I get your point but not sure how you plan to accomplish that

6. It doesn't have to be same day games but you still reduce the WC by at least 17 days.