View Single Post
Old January 26, 2009, 06:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Default If picked, will IPL be a friend or foe of BD cricket development?

I know this subject matter may be premature or a waste of time depending on the outcome of the much awaited IPL auction for our beloved BD players but it’s begging to be discussed. The answer of the afore-mentioned question should very much dictate whether or not we should welcome or reject IPL auction.

I know that the much financially starved cricketers of Bangladesh deserve every penny they can get from a foreign franchise such as IPL. But the question is, will this huge sum of money be good for the development of Bangladesh cricket?

If Shakib or any one from BD gets picked for a huge chunk of change then

Pros:

• IPL contract is a huge reward for their hard work and when rewarded everyone tries to do even better.
  • If one gets rewarded for his hard work then the rest will only try to play catch up which will create competition and better performance.
  • Everyone also seems to do better when a role model is found, Shakib’s inclusion in IPL could be a catalyst as such.
  • IPL contract may also result in a lack of interest for ICL amongst other BD players stopping the exodus. (which is a wrong label)
  • The exposure to such competition will teach our developing cricketers’ the skill, technique and the mental strength from the high-pressure that such short form of cricket has to offer.

Cons:

• The huge pay day can also be detrimental to this young minds who may get the “king of the world” feeling and become complacent.
  • Their commitment to IPL could be short but it could very well take the responsibility or commintment away from the national matches where pride and glory form most part of their paycheck.
  • They may not even do their 100% on the field trying to keep them injury free to keep the IPL contract intact and paycheck coming.
  • (depending on how many) Their absence from the NCL due to their involvement in IPL may have an adverse effect to the overall quality of the league and thus loosing interest for the local spectators and clubs.

So I guess the answer to my own question is rather leaning toward the positive outcome of the IPL but some of you may argue and we are all ears to hear them. Please bring it on………..