View Single Post
Old August 19, 2006, 10:26 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

Of the two posts I have just posted, you've just chosen to highlight the one line I made a light hearted, passing comment. In terms of the byes issue, I did not deny Mashud may have a problem - as you would have noticed in the following sentence. I did however qualify that at Mashud's age, deteriorating reflexes is a physical condition one cannot wilfully bypass. "You should have known that by now".

Nevertheless, if you had read the earlier post, you would have noticed that I was, in part, siding with you in the issue of easing his only successor, Rahim, into the side. Albeit sparingly. And that, my friend, was my main point. No one argues that Mashud's batting is not up to scratch, but then, neither are the performances of our top 6 batsman either (really, we could argue this till' the cows come home).

What I'm saying is, sure, experiment with Rahim, give him match practice, but, do it at the right times. And don't, under any circumstances, and at this stage of his career, throw him directly into the deep end (we missed the boat in not using him more regularly during the 'Safari tour'). Use him sparingly. Don't be too critical. After all, his best days are ahead of him, and he stands to gain more if he is eased into the side, rather than forced. Both physically and mentally.