View Single Post
Old July 20, 2005, 09:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Match Thread: 1st Ashes Test

Here we go then.

Like other England fans I am getting nervous, I just can't wait for this series to get started. It just has a special feeling about it.

The media hype over here in the UK has been incredible, in some cases laughable. The war of words between the two sides has been quite funny as well. Matthew Hoggard has said "It will be interesting to see whether McGrath has enough left in him to get through 5 tests almost back to back", and McGrath himself has predicted a 5-0 whitewash.

Most of these comments are not serious, the players on both sides are just winding each other up.

I think Australia will win this series 3-2. Personally, I think anyone who thinks 5-0 to Australia is deluded, there is no way that will happen.

Its a pity for England there is no test at Headingley, they like playing Australia there.

Australia look to be back to there best with the batting but I am unconvinced about the bowling. If England can survive the early onslaught I think there are big totals there for the taking. I have watched Warne a lot this season and he doesn't look as good as he was. He has been bowling around the wicket a lot like Giles in a negative manner and has been getting quite a bit of tap. He isn't a pre-ordered buffet by any means though, the pitches are dry at the moment in the UK, he will still be hard to play. I see McGrath as Australias biggest bowling threat.

Englands batsman are key for this series I think. Top order collapses are a famous trademark of the England one side so I am not overly concerned about the collapses in the one dayers. The top order in tests has been solid for a long time now. England need to get good starts when batting. There is a lot of inexperience in the middle order, numbers 4-7 are all on Ashes debut which could work for or against England.

Anyway, I am losing patience. I want this test to get started!!!

Discuss the match on this thread.

1st Ashes Test Match of 5,
Lords,
21st - 25th July 2005,
Start Time: 10.30am Local Time.

Forecast

Met Office | BBC Weather

Coverage