View Single Post
Old April 29, 2004, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I have had the luck to watch Javed play in a couple of matches. In fact I have watched each and every international match that he had played upto the one in the Pakistan tour where he scored a century last year. I came to Canada the night before he scored that century, so that when I left he was something not out after the first day. I think he has very good selection when it comes to leave the ball. He also seems to manage bouncers pretty well. I remember once the Pakistani bowlers were coming round the wicket and bowling short towards his body, with a short square leg in place. Yet, he went on playing the ball into the ground and away from the reach of the square leg fielder. However, they soon got him.
Yes, he has a weakness against fast bowlers. In fact, sometimes his footwork is messy, i.e. he does not move very well. His main problem is that he gets out early on most occassions. This is sad, since, being an opener, he should be able to play fast bowlers a lot better than he does.
Having said that, I should also mention his temperament, ideal for test cricket. He is determined and really hard working. A perfect match for Hannan in test matches.

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by AsifTheManRahman : typo]