View Single Post
Old July 24, 2004, 08:46 PM
Retired BC Admin

Here's a topspin for you

Bangladesh batted cautiously against Hong Kong to get over with the Canada spell. Moreover, they play cautiously so often that it has become the norm for them. They say its a mental thing, I say, the more we keep the stats away from this mental thing, the better. The only example that comes to me right away that they seemed to play what could rather be called aggressively is the match against Pakistan last week.

Good statistician always look for ways to minimize any bias. Your suggestion to use the ranking for such adjustment is quite smart. However, our ranking and record is such that, a general statistical analysis is just about enough to get the picture right saving the tedious workload of error and bias corrections.

Walking the same avenue of thought, Arnab's "21 match" and yearly stats from my part are good enough to call for serious improvements in our batting while we wait to greet Masri and other young speedsters to boast our bowling capability.

Anyway, thank you Imtiaz for such a thoughtful thread. Any plan to write an article for the front page based on the stats? Arnab will write one, but it's always good to have second and third opinions. Tintin? No rush.