View Single Post
Old June 27, 2012, 12:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
AF you adjust depicting a picture from your mind. Afghans 99% even don't understand cricket as a game and nether play and neither they have any infrastructure whatsoever. Yes in any nation desperate for success at any level will rally and talk about their success in that event. But that hasn't yet reached that stage to call it a popular sports.

Just by the names I can point put with 100% guarantee that about 8 of them are pure Pakistani origin players. Afghan surnames are very distinctly different, with only grey area is Khans... Who can be a Pathan from either side.
Most of the player names sound afghan to me...Ahmadzai, Karzai, ___zai! Najibullah, Ahmadullah, Karimullah...etc. Most of them are listed by CI as being born in Afghanistan. Either way a Pathan is a Pathan. What if we found out 200 years ago, Shakib's ancestors were from Kolkata...would that disqualify him from playing for Bangladesh? I don't think we should go out and hire Manoj Tiwari or Ashok Dinda, but if something happened historically a bazillion years ago (before or after Partition), that doesn't matter.

OK, maybe resident Afghans aren't into the sport that much, but neither are resident Kiwis or Zimbabweans or West Indians. I'm not saying Afghanistan deserve Test status right now, but if they had infrastructure and security to host matches they should. Ireland deserve it already or definitely in the next few years.

#OneTeam1Dream