View Single Post
Old November 9, 2010, 04:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
That blurry background you can achieve with any lense, by using the macro function of your camera & focussing on the center of the object, depending on the distance of the background from the object you are photographing. If I have a regular lens 18-55 why do I need a 50mm? That's already covered by 18-55 isn't it?
The kit lens of 18-55 is rubbish to say the least, below f5.6. The 50mm f1.8 prime lens that someone has spoken of is the best Canon lens in the non professional line of lenses in terms of its light gathering ability, bokeh and IQ. Ken Rockwell once compared it to even the L series lenses based on value for money.

The kit zooms and any zooms below f2.8 is not going to come close. f2.8 zooms would cost significantly more than the lower end lenses. That is why, the 50mm 1.8 is an infinitely better buy. A prime lens is generally quite a lot better than consumer grade zooms. This is why a lot of experienced amateurs often use older primes with adaptors in their DSLR bodies. Stop-down metering and manual focus is a small price to pay for quality.

The blurry background may be achieved with a lot of lenses but the bokeh would hardly be creamy-smooth in the rubbish 18-55 kit lens. The 50mm 1.8 would achieve it with absolute ease.