View Single Post
Old March 24, 2003, 05:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Zakir
You seem to have a very good knowledge of the past history... these history are really interesting...atleast to me!!

You posted the message at a wrong time when Sham took off. ....I would really like to see his reply on this.....

However, it was kind of hard for me to understand as I am not familiar with any of the names... even after reading it twice and you used some of the names interchangeably - which confused me a lot.

Things which I had hard time understanding:
Quote:
These Big three created a unique club based soccer culture among the Bengalis
My understanding: They are Ghoti's Mohon Bagan, East Bengal and the Middle class muslim - Mohammedan. Just wondering - are those Ghotis HIndus? as they too were middle class?

So basically it's back to Hindu-Muslim and [Rich - Poor who think they are rich] rival.

Anyways, zakir, you should really write more on this board..... not once in a purple moon....you are depriving us from knowledge here (hopefully they are all correct).. Don't be so selfish!

Now back to your points: 1 & 2
Quote:
Since club culture is soo deep rooted in our life, we should not destroy that.
My understanding so far is that...it is already destroyed. Does anyone really care about this club thing anymore? Besides we don't have to preserve this root (rivalry) through cricket as it did originate in football. So we can safely take out cricket without destroying the roots. I don't think taking away cricket from club to district base will hurt anyone instead it will be much better. Sham and Shubho already made those points I believe...

Longer version/shorter version - If you want to cause "rivalry" between districts, ONLY 4 days cricket will not do it as it will be lengthy and boring. People will not be interested in it. I don't think anyone shows up at stadium even if the admission is free to 4/5 days cricket. So In order to actually have rivalry going, we really need that ONE day cricket - some excitement.

I guess you shouldn't be too concerned about Dhaka League.... or I should rather say history being destroyed. I believe that was your main concern... was it?

Please don't make fun of me if I sound foolish ......

Cheers!

[Edited on 25-3-2003 by Orpheus]