View Single Post
Old March 27, 2003, 12:32 AM
Club Cricketer

Thanks Orpheus for your kind words.

About your first comment:

Well as I mentioned, In Bengal that time the number of middle-class BENGALI Muslims were almost zero. Bengali Muslims were far behind economically and also in education. Middle class Muslims were mostly NON-BENGALI. In other words middle-class Bengali (Ghotis or Bangaals) were mostly Hindu. Though the clubs were established by the middle-class, their popularity did propagate among the mass. In general Hindu-Muslim relation was always good in Bengal. It was East Bengal - Mohon Bagan rivalry (not Mohon Bagan -Mohammedan or East Bengal - Mohammedan). I assume that during Mohon Bagan- East Bengal game, all East Bengalis (Hindus and Muslims) used to support East Bengal. Let me give you a parallel example. In 30's growing Bengali Muslim middle class were very proud of Nazrul. That doesn't mean that they were not proud of or dislike Rabindranath.

Now about your 2nd comment:

I think you made some good points and I agree with you in general. Actually I was trying to show that club based sports in the past did paly a significant role in producing players and entertaining urban people. So probably we should continue this. But that doesn't mean that we have to continue even if we get a better format, just for the history.

I agree with you that inter-district 4-day match may not be very exiting as one day. In that case,

1) We can have a National Limited over League with 17 District teams.

2) Longer version National League with 6 divisional teams. We can also invite one or two foreign teams like Busta Cup.

3) Continue limited over Dhaka League, where the National players will be allowed to play at some phase (super league.