View Single Post
Old March 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I had an opportunity to follow the oral proceedings and actually saw the advocates at work! I wrote some of my thoughts here way back in September 2011 (but no one responded ) "Our Other Border: Monitoring the delimitation of our maritime boundary with Myanmar"

I am really glad that the decision came in our favor but with the legal team we had, I'm not surprised! They're some of the greatest international lawyers of our day (Paul Reichler, Philippe Sands QC, etc)

I have to say though, there is something definitely wrong with that article. I think they've confused what Dr. Dipu Moni has said. Bangladesh has long asked for the equitable principle of maritime delimitation to be followed and India and Myanmar have asked for the equidistance principle to be followed - not the other way around. (For a lucid, introductory essay on this topic please read this: "The Problem of Delimitation of Bangladesh's Maritime Boundaries with India and Myanmar: Prospects of a Solution"

You also have the opportunity to read the Judgment here or just the operative clauses because the judgment runs to 151 pages! There is also a video archive of the Bangladeshi representatives and international advocates making our case on the website

I haven't read the entire Judgment yet but I'm glad that we got a few things in our favour at least. Will comment later.