View Single Post
Old April 9, 2012, 04:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Let's ignore the red-herring about Bengali vs Bangali. Yes, it is a red herring and some over sensitive people take too much offense at benign things. It is just was valid for English speakers to refer Bangali as Bengali as for us to refer to the US as 'Markin' Juktorashtro. Their language. We should be the last ones to dictate language
I think, neither you, nor the thread opener, nor any of the other guy in the thread who calls me a Bengali or my language as Bengali ... Are English speakers.....

It's like a Brit calling them Engrez... And I'm sure none of the Brits will accept it as easily as you accept to be a Bengali..... Such is our sensitivity to our own identity........to say the least... And we dare to discuss it for for what?? That how intelligent I am?? .. We should feel ashamed to call us Bengalis ... Just an English would feel ashamed to call him Engrez.... just like we can't dictate their language, they can't dictate ours.... So it's insulting for me or my language to be called a Bengali.

We probably don't need your approval on this.... You are first and American and then a Bangladeshi... That's your statement....so I can understand your mindset. it's not red herring for us...as you insist...may be for you but not for all....

I love to be called a Bangali for ethnicity, I spell my language as Bangla and my nationality as Bangladeshi.... I don't compromise on these terms... Let the English or French call it anything, that doesn't bother me... Ohhh the Chinese call it Mongjala.... So should we start calling our language Mongjala??? Red herring??? Ya...