View Single Post
Old March 2, 2011, 09:59 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Good analysis but as Zunaid pointed out, we're already painfully aware of this. Anything below 50% should be deemed unacceptable when singles are there for the taking.

Basically, we have two types of players. We have fatalistic brainfarters who often recklessly swing & sweep by the number, and have their premeditation result in the opposition's jubilation, whoever they may be on a given day.

Then we have all those "hardworking" kibbles-and-bits players of inadequate ability, celebrated by those who like to celebrate mediocrity for obvious reasons. These guys "play slow" and block full-tosses and half-volleys because they don't sight the ball early enough, and can't find the gap as easily as they find the fielder. They get bogged down killing the game, create the type of lethal pressure neither they nor the team can get out of, and they succumb to a premeditated, often agricultural sweep shot. These Hudmahs, false grafters who only graft our demise, ought never be selected for any format of the sport, and I don't blame them when they often are.

We need more guys like Shakib who can rotate the strike with ease, and before that happens, guys with similar ability like Tamim, AshraFOOL, Zunaed and Mushfiq need to want to do that more at the right time. Alok at his best can also rotate the strike AND change gears when need be, something Nayeem hasn't been able to do of late. Marriage has ruined an already sissified Riyad.

As far as our young prospects are concerned, Shubhagoto Hom, Fazle Rabbi, Nasir Hussein and Anamul Haq can do both also. They need to be encouraged, not sissified by a nihilist riding on the coat-tail of natural progression from gifted young players.

Heavy hitters like Shabbir Rahman Rumman and Shubhashish Roy, our top seaming prospect in my humble opinion, are prone to the type of cerebral flatulence I mentioned in the beginning and need to be looked at as cameo options at this point. I'd love to see them develop into better batsmen over time.
You advertisment worked...I am here and commenting